The W6 team will be heading into careers events around a large number of the local schools in West Sussex, during our October drive to recruit new W6 sixth formers for September.
This will give us an opportunity to share our courses, basketball academy and also our academic pathways which focus on STEM, Medical, Virtuoso and Academic Excellence.
We will be touring the following schools this October:
You may never have considered us as an option for sixth form, so come along and see what you think. We believe you will be impressed.
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy and W6 sixth form college are in partnership with the Sussex Bears Basketball Club, one of Basketball England’s official accredited basketball schools. Anyone interested in joining the basketball academy in sixth form will be able to find out more and meet some of our academy coaches during our open evening: October 19th, from 6pm to 8pm.
The Sir Robert Woodard Basketball Academy has the biggest basketball development programme in Sussex and provides coaching, competitions and support for players at all levels from grassroots through to elite. The Academy is linked through the SRWA Bears directly into the Sussex Bears basketball team, and the top Academy players have the opportunity to train and play for the Sussex Bears basketball team. The Sussex Bears play in the National Basketball League.
The Academy is committed to providing elite training, support, guidance, coaching and competitions to gifted and talented players. With strong links to professional basketball teams and universities throughout Britain – and a bespoke preparation and placement programme for American colleges, British Universities and Basketball Academies throughout Europe. Players who attend The Sir Robert Woodard Basketball Academy and W6 sixth form will be well positioned to fulfil their basketball ambitions.
What you get as an Academy basketball player:
All Academy players will receive:
- Free training kit, tracksuit, casual wear and kit bag
- Professional basketball coaching of 8+ hours per week in the Academy’s sports facility (overlooked by the Sussex Downs in Lancing) by professional basketball coaches with international and US college experience
- We play weekly games in the ABL (Academy Basketball League), National Schools Competition and the AOC (Association of Colleges)
- Affiliation with the Sussex Bears Basketball Club
- On-site medical support for injury prevention and rehabilitation
- Free use of the Academy fitness suite
- Free fitness, strength and conditioning, exercise and nutrition programmes designed and monitored for you
In addition to the above, elite Academy players will receive:
- 15 hours of professional basketball coaching per week
- Open access to daily training facilities
- Individual skills development programme
- Mentoring for college/university preparation and support
- College/pro placement support
- Opportunity to become a College Sponsored Athlete – value of up to £2500 per year
- Annual travel to the USA and Europe to compete in international competitions
Basketball Academy selection criteria
To be eligible to be considered for the Academy, you must be:
- 16-18 years of age on 31 August of the enrolling year
- Enrol to study at the Sir Robert Woodard Academy
Academy Coaching Staff:
Director of Basketball – Gary Smith
Academy Coaches – James Brame & Dominic Baker
Strength & Conditioning Coach – Dan Sharp
Our great new basketball facilities
- 2 Full sized basketball courts plus show court
- Industry standard cardio and resistance training and fitness suite
- Bespoke basketball training equipment
Please note the first week of term is as follows:
- 6th September.
- Team building day
- 7th -13th September.
- Enrolment and Progression Interviews – you only need attend for the time of your interview . You will be set work on Canvas for that week (it will not appear on Canvas until the 7th)
- Due to the renovations of the 6th form are it won’t be possible for students to be on site during this time to complete work.
- 14th September
- Lessons commence.
- 14th September (evening)
- Meet the Tutors 6th form BBQ
Please note attendance to the team building day, your interview and the first day of teaching is compulsory.
If you have any questions about the schedule or process please email us at email@example.com
All year 12 and 13 appointments have now been scheduled. Remember, every student needs to have an interview before commencing or resuming studies at W6.
You can find your appointment in the document below. If your name is not on the list, please contact Mr Monahan.
There is still time to apply to W6. Online applications to W6 are closed, but you can download and complete the attached form to submit a paper application to the Academy. If you have any enrolment or application questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For students wanting to join in 2018, we are holding our Open Evening on Thursday 19th October from 6pm. More details will be available soon.
Downloadable PDF Version.